Originally from the US, Louie has lived and worked in China since 2005. He founded PureLiving in 2010 after realizing that there was no professional company in China that could provide reliable and accurate advice for people who wanted clean indoor air and water. Louie has over 20 years of scientific consulting experience as a chemical warfare engineer with the US Army, IBM Managing Consultant, and as the Asia Strategy Director for Thomson Reuters’ Scientific Division. He has personally led or supervised over 1,500 environmental and green building projects in China and the US. Louie is a member of the Indoor Air Quality Association, has trained with the US Centers for Disease Control, and is a graduate of Harvard College and Dartmouth Business School. He is a frequent public speaker for radio, television, CEIBS Business School, and industry associations including CoreNet and IFMA.
“Your work is fast, efficient, and cost-effective. All in all, our whole school community feels...that we are in PureLiving’s capable hands.”
“We have found PureLiving to be the only environmental testing company that can provide the comprehensive reports that an individual can read (without being an expert in the field) with explanations and solutions.”
“What has impressed me most is the fast turnaround at very short notice...[and] quality of reports, that are both detailed and easy to understand.”
As PureLiving’s Solutions Development Executive, Tom has a global role focused on product development, training, international partner acceleration...Read more
As PureLiving’s Solutions Development Executive, Tom has a global role focused on product development, training, international partner acceleration, and thought leadership. Prior to transitioning
Tom has been working in the built environment industry since 2002 and brings experience from previous roles in construction management, building surveying, and the integration of indoor environmental improvement and sustainable technologies. Tom is a contributor to IAQA, CoreNet, IFMA, and industry publications and forums. Originally from Birmingham in the UK, Tom has worked in China since 2008.
Sarah joined PureLiving officially in August 2014 but has been involved since the company was founded. In her role as Director of Finance and Ope...Read more
Sarah joined PureLiving officially in August 2014 but has been involved since the company was founded. In her role as Director of Finance and Operations, she is responsible for overseeing all financial functions, operations across all offices, and the company’s systems infrastructure. Before PureLiving, she worked at companies including Staples and Bain & Co, covering a range of roles including strategy, marketing, and logistics. Sarah earned her MBA at The Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth and her BA in Japanese Studies with a minor in Mathematics from Wellesley College.
Indah studied Hospitality Education at Switzerland’s Ecole Les Roches, before gaining her Real Estate license in Australia. She has over 10 years’ ...Read more
Indah studied Hospitality Education at Switzerland’s Ecole Les Roches, before gaining her Real Estate license in Australia. She has over 10 years’ experience working across Asia Pacific for international hotel brands Banyan Tree and Mandarin Oriental, and property consultants Savills and Colliers International. She enjoys using her knowledge and experience of the world of wellness to help her clients at PureLiving create healthy living, learning, and working environments. Since joining the PureLiving team in 2013, she has assisted individual homes, multinational companies and international schools improve their indoor environmental quality, working across a GFA of over 250,000sqm.
Consulting and Monitoring
Edward Hu is PureLiving's Accounts Director in our Chengdu office. Edward is responsible for the business development and sales network construction of PureLiving in the Chengdu market. Before joining PureLiving, he has worked in P&G, Groupama, ADEN Group as a branch manager or sales director. Edward who holds Bachelor's degree in Environmental Engineering graduated from Sichuan University.
Jack is the Asset Coordinator of PureLiving’s Monitoring Department, a role which involves analysing all the various air quality monitors on the ma...Read more
Jack is the Asset Coordinator of PureLiving’s Monitoring Department, a role which involves
Kimi is an Indoor Environmental Consultant in PureLiving’s Shanghai office. Kimi works to address any concerns from multinational executives about ...Read more
Kimi is an Indoor Environmental Consultant in PureLiving’s Shanghai office. Kimi works to address any concerns from multinational executives about the air and water quality or mild problems in their offices, factories, and residential houses. Kimi holds a Master’s Degree in environmental science and sustainability from Monash University in Australia.
Engineering and Project Management
Walter is the Director of Pureliving's Engineering and Project Management Department. He is responsible for the internal management of our engineer...Read more
Walter is the Director of Pureliving's Engineering and Project Management Department. He is responsible for the internal management of our engineering team's daily work (Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu). He works to follow up and manage all project status of every department and formulate technical schemes and project management for key customers. He holds a master degree of HVAC Engineering from Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Raefer Wallis is an architect, co-founder and CEO of building material research and cloud software group GIGA, and founder of the RESET standard for indoor air quality.
Raefer has been based in Shanghai since 2001 and is behind many firsts, including the first carbon-neutral hotel in Asia, the first eco-regenerative retreat in China and the largest modern rammed-earth building in the world. GIGA also played a critical role in completing the world's first LEED Platinum resort and the first two Living Building Challenge projects in China.
Raefer has co-authored books on modern rammed-earth construction and alternative chemicals assessment. He is a contributor to the United Nations Chemicals in Products program, and his work has been featured by the likes of the Clinton Global Initiative, CNN, CBC and TED.
Alan is an architect and real estate entrepreneur. He was a founding partner of both the Life Hub @ Daning, an innovative open-air mixed-use lifestyle center, and the Shanghai Business Park. He was also a mentor and advisor to the Caohejing High Tech Park Incubator. He has a BA from University of Southern California, and an MBA from Wharton at the University of Pennsylvania.
David is a corporate lawyer at Ropes & Gray LLP’s Shanghai office. He has spent more than ten years in China, advising innovative companies on joint venture collaborations, and licensing to monetize IP and PE/VCs in China investments. He holds a BA from UCLA, his JD from Boston University, and a LLM from Tsinghua University
Michael is CEO of manufacturing and environmental consulting firm Wonder Makers, and an internationally recognized expert on identification and con...Read more
Michael is CEO of manufacturing and environmental consulting firm Wonder Makers, and an internationally recognized expert on identification and control of mold, asbestos, radon, industrial hygiene, and chemical problems. He has written over 200 publications, and is a certified Safety Professional and certified Mold Professional. Michael is also an IAQA Board Member.
We are always seeking talented, skilled and enthusiastic people to join our team.
At PureLiving, we support our people to grow, learn, and develop their skills to reach their potential. We expect you to make the most of opportunities, be passionate about your work, and respect others.
We offer a diverse and challenging environment with great learning and career opportunities for people who share our values.
- THIRST FOR LEARNING
- Senior Account ManagerShanghai/BeijingCreated: 29/10/2019
The Senior Account Manager targets both multi-national and local companies and expands our commercial business. He or she is responsible for finding new leads, pitching customers in meetings and presentations, creating professional project proposals with accurate pricing, contract negotiation and ongoing customer contact during project and through payment period. This is a rewarding and challenging role for a self-driven and confident, outgoing person.
Grow indoor environmental quality consulting, remediation, and monitoring business, including HVAC
Establish new sales channels (project management companies, etc.)
Attend trade shows and industry events to generate leads
Two years of sales experience in related industry; building material or HVAC industry are preferred
Experience in property development or facility management
Friendly, extroverted and inquisitive personality; able to work independently
Chinese passport or current (foreign) residents only
Foreign residents will only be considered with significant China experience
Mandarin speaker (preferably Native) with strong written English, able to write proposals and presentations in English
Accomplished public speaker
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Passion for making a difference and helping clients
Qualifications in business management, environmental science, or HVAC are a plus
- Accounts DirectorBeijingCreated: 29/10/2019
Accounts Director of the Beijing operation. This branch targets the large base of multinational companies, international schools, commercial buildings, and hospitals in the Beijing and Northern China area as well as the residential market. The Sales Director’s role focuses on partnership development and sales while also responsible for overall office operations and team cohesiveness.
- Grow sales revenues at acceptable profitability
- Increase market and brand awareness through thought leadership, events, and channel partnerships
- Maintain quality of customer experience
- Recruit, develop, manage, and retain staff
Support Provided by HQ:
- Training – both consultant/technical and BD/sales
- Leads – PureLiving is already interacting with a large number of national accounts and will provide warm leads or direct opportunities in addition to what you and your team develop
- Brand - Established market brand strength and awareness
- IP and technology – proprietary leading-class commercial filtration systems and control system platform
- Partnerships – already established and generating leads from ecosystem players like real estate service providers (JLL, CBRE), designers and architects (M Moser), industry groups (BOMA, IFMA), and other construction vendors (InterfaceSteelcase, Daikin, etc.)
- Processes and systems – Integrated ERP system including accounting, inventory, sales management, CRM, project management, HR, and asset management. Processes: consultant playbooks, remediation SOPs, report templates
- Minimum of 4 years’ demonstrated track record of sales success
- Minimum of 2 years’ team management experience; ideally in sales, business development, or general team management
- Educational background in chemistry, environmental sciences, sustainability, engineering, HVAC, architecture, or corporate real estate preferred
- Industry experience and network in our key client industries preferred: green building (design or build), corporate real estate and development, facilities or property management, environmental consulting or solutions, environmental health & safety, industrial hygiene, or healthcare
- P&L Management experience
- Experience in startup or international companies highly favoured
- Gregarious personality – must enjoy networking and meeting people
- Familiar with sales management tools and processes such as pipeline reviews, sales forecasting, channel partner development, and sales management or CRM tools
- Knows how to build, train, and lead a team
- Experienced resource manager – knows how to prioritize and apply right people to the right tasks
- Shares our culture that delivering an excellent customer experience and growing accounts is better than competing for new business alone
- Must be a local hire and currently located in Beijing area with local network
- Near-native Mandarin speaker and ability to pitch and develop business with Chinese clients and partners. If Chinese, strong written business English and comfortable in interaction with foreigner
- Senior Indoor Environmental ConsultantShanghaiCreated: 29/10/2019
Dubbed as “indoor air quality doctors”, Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) consultants help clients diagnose and solve indoor environmental quality issues. Consultants work with people to identify IEQ concerns, deliver a suitable testing plan to systematically prove/disprove a hypothesis, conduct on-site investigations with specialized equipment and industry-standard analytical techniques, and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Design, implement, and lead tailored/ large-scale IEQ investigations, including WELL/LEED/RESET IEQ related projects
- Ensure quality (final review) and timeliness of project reports
- Attend debrief meetings and lead results discussion and debriefing
- Troubleshoot client issues pertaining to PureLiving monitors or recirculating filtration systems – identify issue, develop testing strategy to verify issue, and proposing strategies to address issue
- Assess and evaluate vendors to create a streamlined service to end users
- Educational background in environmental studies or science ( industrial hygiene, chemistry)
- Minimum of 3 years’ working experience as environmental auditor, sustainability specialist, green building consultant, researcher in environment related academic institutions/labs, or industrial hygienist (health and safety); or minimum of 5 years of consulting or client-facing project management experience, if non-environmental related. Possessing of CIH, CIE, WELL/LEED/RESET AP or other industrial hygiene or environmental auditor certifications is a plus
- Strong presentation/debriefing skills
- Ability to organize and present large amounts of data in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and accomplish deliverables in timely manner
- Strong verbal and written English
- Experience in leadership and team management, or in sales support and business development is a plus
- Accounts Director (HK)Hong KongCreated: 14/11/2019
The Accounts Director targets both multi-national and local companies and expands our commercial business. He or she is responsible for finding new leads, pitching customers in meetings and presentations, creating professional project proposals with accurate pricing, contract negotiation and ongoing customer contact during project and through payment period. This is a rewarding and challenging role for a self-driven and confident, outgoing person. We have positions open for Hong Kong, which will also cover South China.
The HK office is less than 2 years old, so the role will partially involve growing teams and markets and there is upwards career development to becoming a General Manager and overseeing a team that spans South China, HK/Macau, as well as Southeast China and/or India.
- Grow indoor environmental quality consulting, remediation, and monitoring business, including building HVAC retrofits and green building improvements
- Establish new sales channels (developers, project management companies, etc.)
- Attend trade shows and industry events to generate leads
- Develop thought leadership to increase credibility and market interest
- Build and manage a sales team (1-2 people within 6 months)
- Manage a fore mentioned sales team through robust and measurable performance metrics including financial performance metrics
- 6+ years of sales, BD, or consulting sales experience in related industry; building material or HVAC industry are preferred
- Experience in engineering consulting, facility or building management, green building, or construction (particularly HVAC)
- Friendly, extroverted and inquisitive personality; able to work independently
- Hong Kong working permit
- Written and spoken English and Mandarin
- Experience and comfort speaking in public
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Passion for making a difference and helping clients
- Qualifications in business management, environmental science, or HVAC are a plus
- Willingness to travel outside of Hong Kong if required
- Environmental Services & Operations InternHong KongCreated: 30/06/2020
About our company:
PureLiving is a leading indoor environmental consulting company with a simple mission: to help our clients create healthy homes and workplaces. Our expert team of building engineers, HVAC specialists, and environmental consultants advises clients on air and water quality, mold, asbestos and lead exposure issues and helps to improve their indoor environmental quality through testing to identify sources of pollution and then eliminating them. Our total range of solutions includes pollutant testing, design and installation of cutting-edge filtration systems, monitoring, and odor and chemical reduction.
With operations in six cities across China, Hong Kong, and India, PureLiving is the industry’s provider of choice for assessment, engineering, implementation, and monitoring of indoor environmental quality.
Who should apply:
If you are passionate about environmental sciences and are looking for hands-on experience in environmental consulting, engineering, or operational management. An ideal candidate is someone who enjoys tinkering with electronics around the house, is good at explaining technological concepts to their friends and relatives, and likes learning about data analysis and data modeling. You should not be shy of face-to-face interactions, and be outgoing enough to explore networking opportunities in this field around Hong Kong.
Full-time intern to assist the management and operations team of a fast-growing, international environmental consulting services company. Responsibilities will span operations, finance, engineering, consulting, marketing, and business development. A large focus will be in on-the-ground operational support for the company's Hong Kong office, especially in the area of indoor environmental monitoring. In-depth training will be provided to help clients assess their indoor environmental quality, perform maintenance visits, and provide analyses based on monitoring data.
· Respond to clients and provide customer support; Schedule in-person client visits as needed
· Help manage vendors and coordinate client projects
· Interact face-to-face with high profile clients around Hong Kong, across a range of professions
· Translate/localize marketing materials and website content from English into local language
· Prepare and send out client reports, especially those related to IAQ monitoring
· Provide accounting assistance
· Place orders for clients; Coordinate deliveries of goods to customers’ homes or offices
· Purchase and research office supplies and equipment
· Conduct ad-hoc market research and business development projects
· Business management or environmental/STEM background with prior work experience. Initiative and independent thought is most important.
· Must be fluent in English (oral & written) and fluent in either Cantonese or Mandarin. Hong Kong permanent residents or Chinese passport holders only.
· Experience with electronics is a strong bonus.
Full-time -- Typically 9:30am-6:30pm business hours, but may require occasional evening or weekend based on business requirements. Will average 45 hrs/wk.
To learn more about the company, please go to
To learn more about career in PureLiving, please go to
PureLiving, as the special sponsor of this conference, brought turn-key indoor environment solutions for campus space in the form of work...Read more
PureLiving, as the special sponsor of this conference, brought turn-key indoor environment solutions for campus space in the form of workshop, the largest booth at the exhibition site, to create a safe, healthy and automated future learning environment for teachers and students in the post-COVID era. PureLiving, along with two other industry leaders, Steelcase and Polyvision, presented an experiential classroom setting and showed participants the important role of indoor air quality, furniture, and bacterica-sterilization whiteboards in the post-COVID era. In addition, the use of technology (continuous monitoring and automation) shows the connection between good design, smart classrooms and student performance.
After the COVID, every school is faced with the safety and health problem of teachers and students after the restart, which is also a problem that troubles every school operator and principal. International schools, in particular, face great pressure from overseas students returning to school for the autumn semester. At the seminar, Ms. Zhang Linfei, Director of Business Development of PureLiving, showed us what Are the Best Ways to Create Safe and Healthy School Environment and the concept of a classroom with a healthy indoor environment in the future on the topic of "Back to School After COVID".
BEED AWARDS：PureLiving was honoured to receive the award for 《2020 Asia High Quality School Partner Awards——Teaching Facilities and Equipment》
Last Thursday, May 28th, PureLiving celebrated its 10th anniversary at Porcellino restaurant in Shanghai, Yuyuan road. PureLiving -- Celebrating Ten Years of Creating Healthier Indoor environment. More than 130 colleagues from PureLiving's Shanghai headquarters, as well as customers and partners, were gathered to celebrate this highlight moment of PureLiving.
At 4:30 PM, the celebration ceremony was held first. We connected with the offices in Beijing, Chengdu, Hong Kong and other asia-pacific regions. Mr. Louie, President of PureLiving, made a welcoming speech at the beginning, then told the history of the company in the past 10 years and thanked the colleagues who have been working hard for the past 10 years.
Since 6 PM, customers and partners have been arriving at the site. Take a group photo, pick a drink, networking -- when you have a drink, you can always open the conversation!We offer all kinds of wine and Porcellino's special buffet for guests free of charge.
At 7 o 'clock, the celebration officially began with a narrative sand painting. With the skillful interpretation of the sand painting teacher, it showed us a wonderful story of Mr. Louie, President of PureLiving, his business history and PureLiving's 10-year journey from 2010 to 2020.
Kaiterra, PureLiving's partner for many years, also made a special birthday cake for PureLiving. Kaiterra co-founder Ken Ying also delivered a speech, reflecting on his partnership with PureLiving over the years and wishing both sides a better future.
Later, we invited Mmoser, JLL and other partners to hold the lucky draws and give speeches. Partners reviewed their long-standing relationship with PureLiving, affirmed PureLiving's excellent performance and leading position in the industry, and gave PureLiving the best wished in the future.
To conclude the event, a lucky draw was done and several lucky attendees won prizes provided by PureLiving.
On March 19th，PureLiving together with Hines held the ONE STEP FURTHER TO FUTURE technology forum at One Museum Place. More than 80 clien...Read more
On March 19th，PureLiving together with Hines held the ONE STEP FURTHER TO FUTURE technology forum at One Museum Place. More than 80 clients and partners gathered together at the forum to learn more about new clean air technologies and network.
In the past nine years, PureLiving was growing rapidly and has become the leading company for indoor environments not only in China but also the wider Asian market and beyond. Provided solutions and services for over 35% of Fortune 100 companies and completed over 7000 projects. As the industry thought leader, we are the first total solution provider for indoor air quality, and continues to develop more effective ways to healthier environment.
During the forum, Louie Cheng, President of PureLiving, gave a welcome speech and noted some of PureLiving’s recent achievements on helping clients improving their indoor environmental quality and introduced new solutions: “Managed Air” and SmartHVAC systems.
“Managed air” is a simple ‘pay-for-performance’ model that addresses your indoor air quality, helping you to achieve your goals with continuous high performance with no hidden cost. We have onsite Air Quality experts joining the project team to deliver projects without IAQ problems, significantly lowers risk of operating problems & costs.
The SmartHVAC enhancement enables enhanced sustainable performance by combining media filter and electronic filter while not sacrificing ventilation rates. It is highly cost-effective as it has lower energy consumption due to lower pressure drops, and lower consumption of consumable filters. The service also provides real-time post-filtration air quality data, giving you a direct view of the difference between indoor and outdoor air quality.
Derek Hrzek, Senior Associate from Hines also gave a speech to thank Louie and the entire team at PureLiving for all their substantial contributions to One Museum Place. With the help of PureLiving, One Museum Place is able to provide healthier and more comfortable working environments for its tenants.
During the forum, guest enjoyed drinks and light food and networked with friends and associates in the industry.
To conclude the event, a lucky draw was done and several lucky attendees won prizes provided by PureLiving.
Designers have long focused on creating schools that are attractive and functional. However, more and more educators are realizing that ...Read more
Designers have long focused on creating schools that are attractive and functional. However, more and more educators are realizing that the physical environment has a strong impact on the ability of students to learn and educators to teach. During this two-day BEED 2019 FOCUS conference, PureLiving partnered with three other leading companies and expert created an experiential Future Classroom demonstrated to visitors the role of indoor air quality, good lighting, acoustics, carpet system, and furniture. In addition, the use of technology (continuous monitoring and automation), shows the connection between good design, smart classrooms and student performance.
Good design requires the integration of different disciplines to create an educational space. Each discipline can impact the other. For instance, the use of carpeting systems can help to reduce ambient noise that lets students learn better because they can hear better. In our experiential classroom, four leading companies, each expert in their field, come together to create and share integrated holistic designs for comfort and health: Steelcase (furniture), Interface (carpeting), Studio Illumine (lighting), and PureLiving (air and sound quality).
During the workshop, PureLiving’s president Louie Cheng shared five ways your school can use indoor air quality to improve learning performance.
Poor IAQ has a real impact on schools. According to study results, the absenteeism rate is 35% higher and students in classrooms with poor ventilation rate score on average 6% lower in standardized exams. Schools are under pressure to provide a healthy environment from parents and society. In addition, doing air quality right can be beneficial to learning and business operating, such as improving the comfort level of students and teachers, admissions, recruiting rate, retention rate, absenteeism. Good indoor air quality can also provide a lasting halo effect on school brand.
5 Best Practices
1. More fresh air is better for learning
2. Air quality is complex for schools and needs to be integrated construction design
3. Measure performance and analysis data with monitoring system
4. Automation to manage complexity - Do not rely on human operation
5. Technology is not enough – Communicate and Market
- Community talk given to staff and parents at each campus
- Detailed IAQ policy emailed and posted on web
- IAQ Progress detailed on monthly school magazine
- Air quality integrated into branding and marketing
PureLiving is a leading indoor environmental consulting company with a simple mission: to help our clients create healthy homes and workplaces. Our expert team of building engineers, HVAC specialists, and environmental consultants advises clients on air and water quality, mold, asbestos and lead exposure issues and helps to improve their indoor environmental quality through testing to identify sources of pollution and then eliminating them. Our total range of solutions includes pollutant testing, design and installation of cutting-edge filtration systems, monitoring, and odor and chemical reduction.With operations in six cities across China, Hong Kong, and India, PureLiving is the industry’s provider of choice for assessment, engineering, implementation, and monitoring of indoor environmental quality.