Originally from the US, Louie has lived and worked in China since 2005. He founded PureLiving in 2010 after realizing that there was no professional company in China that could provide reliable and accurate advice for people who wanted clean indoor air and water. Louie has over 20 years of scientific consulting experience as a chemical warfare engineer with the US Army, IBM Managing Consultant, and as the Asia Strategy Director for Thomson Reuters’ Scientific Division. He has personally led or supervised over 1,500 environmental and green building projects in China and the US. Louie is a member of the Indoor Air Quality Association, has trained with the US Centers for Disease Control, and is a graduate of Harvard College and Dartmouth Business School. He is a frequent public speaker for radio, television, CEIBS Business School, and industry associations including CoreNet and IFMA.
PureLiving Indoor Environment Solutions Co., Ltd.
- China's first indoor environmental quality consulting and engineering company
- Turnkey approach: Assess, Design, and Implement Solutions and Monitoring
- Over 8000 Projects completed in China
- Advisor to over 35% Fortune 100 companies in China
- IAQA China Chapter Founder; BOMA Official Trainer, IFMA Member
- WELL/ASHRAE/LEED APS
“Your work is fast, efficient, and cost-effective. All in all, our whole school community feels...that we are in PureLiving’s capable hands.”
“We have found PureLiving to be the only environmental testing company that can provide the comprehensive reports that an individual can read (without being an expert in the field) with explanations and solutions.”
“What has impressed me most is the fast turnaround at very short notice...[and] quality of reports, that are both detailed and easy to understand.”
As PureLiving’s Solutions Development Executive, Tom has a global role focused on product development, training, international partner acceleration...Read more
As PureLiving’s Solutions Development Executive, Tom has a global role focused on product development, training, international partner acceleration, and thought leadership. Prior to transitioning role in spring 2018, he was PureLiving’s Director of Engineering & Project Management in China.
Tom has been working in the built environment industry since 2002 and brings experience from previous roles in construction management, building surveying, and the integration of indoor environmental improvement and sustainable technologies. Tom is a contributor to IAQA, CoreNet, IFMA, and industry publications and forums. Originally from Birmingham in the UK, Tom has worked in China since 2008.
Sarah joined PureLiving officially in August 2014 but has been involved since the company was founded. In her role as Director of Finance and Ope...Read more
Sarah joined PureLiving officially in August 2014 but has been involved since the company was founded. In her role as Director of Finance and Operations, she is responsible for overseeing all financial functions, operations across all offices, and the company’s systems infrastructure. Before PureLiving, she worked at companies including Staples and Bain & Co, covering a range of roles including strategy, marketing, and logistics. Sarah earned her MBA at The Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth and her BA in Japanese Studies with a minor in Mathematics from Wellesley College.
Indah studied Hospitality Management in Switzerland, before gaining her Real Estate license in Australia. She has over 10 years’ experience working...Read more
Indah studied Hospitality Management in , before gaining her Real Estate license in Australia. She has over 10 years’ experience working across Asia Pacific for international hotel chains, and two out of 5 top global real estate service providers. With extensive knowledge & experience in wellness, health & safety from working with PureLiving for over 8 years, she’s now dedicated herself to assist K-12, Higher Education and Corporate Learning in providing IEQ turnkey solution/services through our offices & channel partners. PureLiving has been supporting over 30 campuses in Greater China and globally.
Consulting and Monitoring
Elisa is a senior consultant based in PureLiving’s Shanghai Office, leading PureLiving’s consultancy services. Trained as a chemist, Elisa is speci...Read more
Elisa is a senior consultant based in PureLiving’s Shanghai Office, leading PureLiving’s consultancy services. Trained as a chemist, Elisa is specialized in air and water quality assessments, monitoring and management. She helps clients from the commercial, educational and residential sectors to improve their indoor environmental quality. She holds a Master of Science in Urban Water Engineering and Management from the University of Sheffield.
Jack is the Asset Coordinator of PureLiving’s Monitoring Department, a role which involves analysing all the various air quality monitors on the ma...Read more
Jack is the Asset Coordinator of PureLiving’s Monitoring Department, a role which involves
Engineering and Project Management
Walter is the Director of Pureliving's Engineering and Project Management Department. He is responsible for the internal management of our engineer...Read more
Walter is the Director of Pureliving's Engineering and Project Management Department. He is responsible for the internal management of our engineering team's daily work (Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu). He works to follow up and manage all project status of every department and formulate technical schemes and project management for key customers. He holds a master degree of HVAC Engineering from Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Raefer Wallis is an architect, co-founder and CEO of building material research and cloud software group GIGA, and founder of the RESET standard for indoor air quality.
Raefer has been based in Shanghai since 2001 and is behind many firsts, including the first carbon-neutral hotel in Asia, the first eco-regenerative retreat in China and the largest modern rammed-earth building in the world. GIGA also played a critical role in completing the world's first LEED Platinum resort and the first two Living Building Challenge projects in China.
Raefer has co-authored books on modern rammed-earth construction and alternative chemicals assessment. He is a contributor to the United Nations Chemicals in Products program, and his work has been featured by the likes of the Clinton Global Initiative, CNN, CBC and TED.
Alan is an architect and real estate entrepreneur. He was a founding partner of both the Life Hub @ Daning, an innovative open-air mixed-use lifestyle center, and the Shanghai Business Park. He was also a mentor and advisor to the Caohejing High Tech Park Incubator. He has a BA from University of Southern California, and an MBA from Wharton at the University of Pennsylvania.
David is a corporate lawyer at Ropes & Gray LLP’s Shanghai office. He has spent more than ten years in China, advising innovative companies on joint venture collaborations, and licensing to monetize IP and PE/VCs in China investments. He holds a BA from UCLA, his JD from Boston University, and a LLM from Tsinghua University
Michael is CEO of manufacturing and environmental consulting firm Wonder Makers, and an internationally recognized expert on identification and con...Read more
Michael is CEO of manufacturing and environmental consulting firm Wonder Makers, and an internationally recognized expert on identification and control of mold, asbestos, radon, industrial hygiene, and chemical problems. He has written over 200 publications, and is a certified Safety Professional and certified Mold Professional. Michael is also an IAQA Board Member.
- Senior Account ManagerHong KongCreated: 08/07/2021
The Senior Account Manager targets both multi-national and local companies and expands our commercial business. He or she is responsible for finding new leads, pitching customers in meetings and presentations, creating professional project proposals with accurate pricing, contract negotiation and ongoing customer contact during project and through payment period. This is a rewarding and challenging role for a self-driven and confident, outgoing person.
· Grow indoor environmental quality consulting, remediation, and monitoring business, including HVAC
· Establish new sales channels (project management companies, etc.)
· Fulfill the annual target set by the company
· Attend trade shows and industry events to generate leads
· Two years of sales experience in related industry; building material or HVAC industry are preferred.
· Experience in property development or facility management
· Friendly, extroverted and inquisitive personality; able to work independently
· Chinese passport or current (foreign) residents only
· Foreign residents will only be considered with significant China experience
· Mandarin speaker (preferably Native) with strong written English, able to write proposals and presentations in English
· Accomplished public speaker
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Passion for making a difference and helping clients
· Qualifications in business management, environmental science, or HVAC are a plus
- Environmental Services & Operations – Assistant ManagerHong KongCreated: 08/07/2021
Full-time assistant manager to support the operations team of a fast-growing, international environmental consulting services company. Responsibilities will span operations, finance, engineering, consulting, marketing, and business development. A large focus will be in on-the-ground operational support for the company's Hong Kong office, especially in the area of indoor environmental monitoring. In-depth training will be provided to help clients assess their indoor environmental quality, perform maintenance visits, and provide analyses based on air quality monitoring data.
In-person office hours and face-to-face interaction with the HK Operations Team is required, while adhering to COVID-19 safety protocols.
· Interact face-to-face with high profile clients around Hong Kong, across a range of professions
· Respond to clients and provide customer support; Schedule in-person client visits as needed
· Prepare and send out client air quality monitoring reports
· Place orders for clients; Coordinate deliveries of goods to customers’ homes or offices
· Use cloud ERP platform to create, fulfill, and bill client orders; Log updates to support tickets
· Provide accounting assistance, particularly in collecting A/R payments
· Purchase and research office supplies and equipment
· Conduct ad-hoc market research and business development projects
· Translate/localize marketing materials and website content from English into local language
· Business management or environmental/STEM background with prior work experience.
· Must be fluent in English (oral & written). Fluent Cantonese is preferred; fluent Mandarin is a bonus. Hong Kong permanent residents or Chinese passport holders only.
· Experience with electronics is a strong bonus.
· Initiative and independent thought is most important.
- Accounting SupervisorShanghaiCreated: 08/07/2021
The PureLiving Accounting Supervisor could independently complete the overall accounting processing and submit the financial statements to relative government on time, as well as keep good relationship with government. As part of this role, this person should master all process knowledge about our NetSuite ERP system and make sure the data is accuracy and completeness in order to support business needs.
· Book vouchers in Kingdee and submit relevant financial statements
· Complete the voucher registration and checkout every month,
· Reconciliation of accounts receivable and payable by month to ensure the balance of the two systems,
· Remind those who have prepayments to submit invoices,
· Submit financial statements and high-tech enterprise reports,
· Support annual audit works,
· Keep good relations with relevant government,
· Other Ad hoc works if needed.
· Internal procedures improve
· Communicate with internal colleagues to understand which data/analysis needed and improve related procedures to provide more useful data and insights,
· Provide training to other colleagues once needed.
· Netsuite ERP operate and maintenance
· Daily: review system data to ensure transactions are being booked correctly and adjust as needed,
· Weekly: finish routine weekly reports such as pipeline, Maintenance and leaderboard,
· Quarterly: publish KPIs related to system data and perform root cause analysis,
· Have at least a bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance or other related majors.
· Have at least 5 years financial work experience
· With excellent written English and fluent spoken English (all emails are in English)
· Familiar with international and Chinese accounting regulations as well as related financial, tax, auditing laws and policies
· Skilled in financial software and Microsoft office (such as Excel and Word)
· Responsible, careful, hard-working, and with strong interpersonal and coordination skills
· Media accounting certification, CAP or ACCA are preferred
- Human Resource SpecialistShanghaiCreated: 08/07/2021
Under the direction of the HR Manager, the HR Specialist is responsible for supporting all HR-related work to ensure prompt service to management and fellow staff. This includes onboarding new staff, coordinating training, C&B calculation, employee activity organization, etc. so as to provide full employee life-cycle support for all offices.
· Be responsible for processing employee’s entry, exit, probation, transfer, promotion, and other life-cycle related work, including Hong Kong colleagues
· Establish and maintain employee’s personnel file, update employee personal information and data
· Handle insurance, housing fund and other benefits related work, and be responsible for payroll calculation, including Hong Kong
· Organize and follow up training courses including onboarding training
· Be responsible for tracking attendance and leave management
· Help HR Manager to carry out a variety of employee activities like rock star celebration, etc.
· Provide daily HR helpdesk support to employees including but not limited to create, turn off or update email account, BIPO account, etc and keep smooth cooperation and communication with vendors
· Follow up with the Foreigner employees visa & permit process
· Assist HR Manager with the preparation, revision, and implementation of different categories of HR rules and regulations
· Explore recruitment channels, maintain and update online recruitment information
· Carry out CV screening and preliminary examination of the interview and selection in accordance with the recruitment requirements of various departments
· Bachelor’s degree or above
· 1-2 working experiences on HR field, familiar with various HR activities and procedures including recruiting, C&B, training and performance management, international company experience preferred
· Native Chinese speaker, proficiency in oral & written English
· Proficiency of MS office skills including word, excel, PPT
· Good interpersonal skills
· Strong sense of responsibility
· Good team player with a customer service mindset
· Good problem-solving skills and a quick learner.
· Likes working in collaborative team environments with high amount of freedom
· Strong time and project planning skills so no last-minute rush
· Passion for always learning and always getting better
- Project EngineerShanghai, BeijingCreated: 08/07/2021
As a project engineer you are responsible for the planning, execution and overall management of our indoor air quality engineering projects related to HVAC, filtration, monitoring or energy savings. The successful candidate will work with account managers to assess and understand the client’s requirement, define a scope of work, design solutions, prepare technical proposal content, present or communicate technical concept to clients as necessary together with account managers, coordinate resources to implement, and then project manage or oversee execution to ensure quality on-time delivery.
The roles is split between office based design and documentation and on site assessment and supervision. The successful candidate has a background in HVAC engineering or constructions and is confident managing installation teams and taking responsibility for the project success.
· Project Management
· Site Visits to liaise with clients and vendors
· Prepare tender docs, including technical proposal
· Record keeping of HSE related docs
· Prepare and maintain schedules
· Prepare technical documentation
· Manage the communications with internal project stakeholders, vendors and clients
· Ensure project quality, safety and deadline time
· Arrange various parties for commissioning
· Attend acceptance test
· Provide training to clients
· Prepare final documentation
· Some administrative duties i.e. preparation of presentations and proposals, some translation work, necessary record keeping etc.
· Interact with outsourced service provider partners
· Interact with clients during visits – understand needs, explain solutions, and assess on-site systems to help create appropriate solution
· Support sales staff proposal creation with solutions recommendation and pricing
· Assess new technologies so we can offer clients wide range of best-in-class solutions
· Experience in project management relating to engineering or construction management and onsite management
· Possess safety or other industry related professional certificates
· On site work in a supervisory role
· Experience in startup, Internet Knowledge or international company a plus
· Friendly and inquisitive personality; pay attention to detail; independent
· Native Chinese speaker with functional written English and able to write proposals and presentations in English;
· Proficient in AutoCad, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, experience in using Sketchup a plus
· Fun, team-oriented, likes to learn and solve challenges
· Passion for making a difference and helping clients
PureLiving, as the special sponsor of this conference, brought turn-key indoor environment solutions for campus space in the form of wor...Read more
PureLiving, as the special sponsor of this conference, brought turn-key indoor environment solutions for campus space in the form of workshop, the largest booth at the exhibition site, to create a safe, healthy and automated future learning environment for teachers and students in the post-COVID era. PureLiving, along with two other industry leaders, Steelcase and Polyvision, presented an experiential classroom setting and showed participants the important role of indoor air quality, furniture, and bacterica-sterilization whiteboards in the post-COVID era. In addition, the use of technology (continuous monitoring and automation) shows the connection between good design, smart classrooms and student performance.
After the COVID, every school is faced with the safety and health problem of teachers and students after the restart, which is also a problem that troubles every school operator and principal. International schools, in particular, face great pressure from overseas students returning to school for the autumn semester. At the seminar, Ms. Zhang Linfei, Director of Business Development of PureLiving, showed us what Are the Best Ways to Create Safe and Healthy School Environment and the concept of a classroom with a healthy indoor environment in the future on the topic of "Back to School After COVID".
BEED AWARDS：PureLiving was honoured to receive the award for 《2020 Asia High Quality School Partner Awards——Teaching Facilities and Equipment》
Last Thursday, May 28th, PureLiving celebrated its 10th anniversary at Porcellino restaurant in Shanghai, Yuyuan road. PureLiving -- Celebrating Ten Years of Creating Healthier Indoor environment. More than 130 colleagues from PureLiving's Shanghai headquarters, as well as customers and partners, were gathered to celebrate this highlight moment of PureLiving.
At 4:30 PM, the celebration ceremony was held first. We connected with the offices in Beijing, Chengdu, Hong Kong and other asia-pacific regions. Mr. Louie, President of PureLiving, made a welcoming speech at the beginning, then told the history of the company in the past 10 years and thanked the colleagues who have been working hard for the past 10 years.
Since 6 PM, customers and partners have been arriving at the site. Take a group photo, pick a drink, networking -- when you have a drink, you can always open the conversation!We offer all kinds of wine and Porcellino's special buffet for guests free of charge.
At 7 o 'clock, the celebration officially began with a narrative sand painting. With the skillful interpretation of the sand painting teacher, it showed us a wonderful story of Mr. Louie, President of PureLiving, his business history and PureLiving's 10-year journey from 2010 to 2020.
Kaiterra, PureLiving's partner for many years, also made a special birthday cake for PureLiving. Kaiterra co-founder Ken Ying also delivered a speech, reflecting on his partnership with PureLiving over the years and wishing both sides a better future.
Later, we invited Mmoser, JLL and other partners to hold the lucky draws and give speeches. Partners reviewed their long-standing relationship with PureLiving, affirmed PureLiving's excellent performance and leading position in the industry, and gave PureLiving the best wished in the future.
To conclude the event, a lucky draw was done and several lucky attendees won prizes provided by PureLiving.
On March 19th，PureLiving together with Hines held the ONE STEP FURTHER TO FUTURE technology forum at One Museum Place. More than 80 clien...Read more
On March 19th，PureLiving together with Hines held the ONE STEP FURTHER TO FUTURE technology forum at One Museum Place. More than 80 clients and partners gathered together at the forum to learn more about new clean air technologies and network.
In the past nine years, PureLiving was growing rapidly and has become the leading company for indoor environments not only in China but also the wider Asian market and beyond. Provided solutions and services for over 35% of Fortune 100 companies and completed over 7000 projects. As the industry thought leader, we are the first total solution provider for indoor air quality, and continues to develop more effective ways to healthier environment.
During the forum, Louie Cheng, President of PureLiving, gave a welcome speech and noted some of PureLiving’s recent achievements on helping clients improving their indoor environmental quality and introduced new solutions: “Managed Air” and SmartHVAC systems.
“Managed air” is a simple ‘pay-for-performance’ model that addresses your indoor air quality, helping you to achieve your goals with continuous high performance with no hidden cost. We have onsite Air Quality experts joining the project team to deliver projects without IAQ problems, significantly lowers risk of operating problems & costs.
The SmartHVAC enhancement enables enhanced sustainable performance by combining media filter and electronic filter while not sacrificing ventilation rates. It is highly cost-effective as it has lower energy consumption due to lower pressure drops, and lower consumption of consumable filters. The service also provides real-time post-filtration air quality data, giving you a direct view of the difference between indoor and outdoor air quality.
Derek Hrzek, Senior Associate from Hines also gave a speech to thank Louie and the entire team at PureLiving for all their substantial contributions to One Museum Place. With the help of PureLiving, One Museum Place is able to provide healthier and more comfortable working environments for its tenants.
During the forum, guest enjoyed drinks and light food and networked with friends and associates in the industry.
To conclude the event, a lucky draw was done and several lucky attendees won prizes provided by PureLiving.
Designers have long focused on creating schools that are attractive and functional. However, more and more educators are realizing that ...Read more
Designers have long focused on creating schools that are attractive and functional. However, more and more educators are realizing that the physical environment has a strong impact on the ability of students to learn and educators to teach. During this two-day BEED 2019 FOCUS conference, PureLiving partnered with three other leading companies and expert created an experiential Future Classroom demonstrated to visitors the role of indoor air quality, good lighting, acoustics, carpet system, and furniture. In addition, the use of technology (continuous monitoring and automation), shows the connection between good design, smart classrooms and student performance.
Good design requires the integration of different disciplines to create an educational space. Each discipline can impact the other. For instance, the use of carpeting systems can help to reduce ambient noise that lets students learn better because they can hear better. In our experiential classroom, four leading companies, each expert in their field, come together to create and share integrated holistic designs for comfort and health: Steelcase (furniture), Interface (carpeting), Studio Illumine (lighting), and PureLiving (air and sound quality).
During the workshop, PureLiving’s president Louie Cheng shared five ways your school can use indoor air quality to improve learning performance.
Poor IAQ has a real impact on schools. According to study results, the absenteeism rate is 35% higher and students in classrooms with poor ventilation rate score on average 6% lower in standardized exams. Schools are under pressure to provide a healthy environment from parents and society. In addition, doing air quality right can be beneficial to learning and business operating, such as improving the comfort level of students and teachers, admissions, recruiting rate, retention rate, absenteeism. Good indoor air quality can also provide a lasting halo effect on school brand.
5 Best Practices
1. More fresh air is better for learning
2. Air quality is complex for schools and needs to be integrated construction design
3. Measure performance and analysis data with monitoring system
4. Automation to manage complexity - Do not rely on human operation
5. Technology is not enough – Communicate and Market
- Community talk given to staff and parents at each campus
- Detailed IAQ policy emailed and posted on web
- IAQ Progress detailed on monthly school magazine
- Air quality integrated into branding and marketing
PureLiving is a leading indoor environmental consulting company with a simple mission: to help our clients create healthy homes and workplaces. Our expert team of building engineers, HVAC specialists, and environmental consultants advises clients on air and water quality, mold, asbestos and lead exposure issues and helps to improve their indoor environmental quality through testing to identify sources of pollution and then eliminating them. Our total range of solutions includes pollutant testing, design and installation of cutting-edge filtration systems, monitoring, and odor and chemical reduction.With operations in six cities across China, Hong Kong, and India, PureLiving is the industry’s provider of choice for assessment, engineering, implementation, and monitoring of indoor environmental quality.